Sunday, December 27, 2009

granny's china



My grandparents purchased this china - Devonshire, by Enoch Wedgwood (Tunstall) - for their wedding, which would have taken place around 1940, give or take five years.

I inherited the china when my Granny died in 1980 or so, though I didn't take possession for many years.

I tried researching the pattern when I first received it, even sending emails and pictures to Wedgwood, but I didn't find out what it was called until I found this:

http://www.replacements.com/webquote/WW_DEVO.htm

I can't tell you how many hours of Internet/eBay searches I did to get that much. Early in 2000 a Montreal company had quite a lot of it for sale on eBay - for amazing prices, I now realize - but I was a broke college student at the time and had to put aside any thought of buying any of their stock. In their eBay posting the company described the pattern only as "Art Deco", so I guess they didn't know what it was called, either.

I want to catalogue what I own as a way of creating another reference to the pattern online. I'm hoping I'll hear from other owners, too: I invite you to contact me with your own stories of Devonshire.

Eight dinner plates: six in excellent to good condition (slight imperfections at most, primarily due to gentle use); two have significant chips and some cracking under the surface, as though they had been dropped.

Eight salad plates: five are in excellent to good condition and three are in fair to poor condition (major imperfections like chips and cracking).

Seven soup bowls: five are in excellent to good condition; two are in fair to poor condition.

Eight bread and butter plates: six are in excellent to good condition; two are in fair to poor condition.

Six teacups: four are in excellent to good condition, two are in fair to poor condition.

Eight saucers, all in excellent to good condition.

The creamer is in excellent to good condition. *The sugar bowl with lid is missing, however.

Six dessert bowls are in excellent to good condition. They are almost 5" in diameter.

The underplate for the gravy bowl is in excellent to good condition. *The gravy bowl is missing.

The round vegetable bowl is 8 5/8" and is in excellent to good condition.

The round covered vegetable bowl is beautiful but is in fair to poor condition.

The large (14") oval serving platter is in excellent to good condition.

The smaller (10 7/8") oval serving platter is in excellent to good condition.




*One sad aspect of this story is that I used to have the gravy boat, the sugar bowl and lid, and one or two other pieces. I had them in a small, light box that someone else assumed was empty and threw away.

No comments:

Post a Comment