Sunday, March 21, 2010

i live, therefore i run

It's not always a good idea to look into a mirror after a workout.

I bought a full-length mirror yesterday and hung it on my door. I wanted a better picture of myself before I head to work but just now, after I got out of the shower, I looked at myself.

Why am I not skinny? The running took everything out of me; how can there be so much pudgy left? It just doesn't seem right.

Today is Week 2, Day 1 and that meant 90 seconds of running and two minutes of walking, six times each. I started with stretching as usual and I added in some back exercises. I felt awesome when I began the first run and so I kicked it up to five miles per hour. The last 15 seconds or so were rough but after two minutes of walking I did it again. And I learned I'm better off sticking with 4.5mph for a little longer.

The last 30 seconds - hell, the last five seconds - of each run were deadly. Luckily, Survivor was playing during the sixth and final jog and I drove myself to the finish line with "I'm not gonna give up" and "I'm gonna work harder", among others.

My neck feels a little out of alignment but other than that I feel great. I can only get through these things one at a time and I've got to remember that in May, when I'm running 5k, I'll be fit.

I used the Couch to 5k app again and was pleased overall. It didn't resume my playlist the way C25k did but I can live with that, especially as Couch to 5k does let me skip songs from within the app itself.

I've added some protein to my diet. With the up-and-down fatigue I've been experiencing for the last four to five weeks, I'm not taking any chances. At the grocery store today I concentrated on vegetables (for fibre) and tuna and nuts (for protein). At work I know I'm not eating enough so I need food that's quick and easy to consume. I've also resumed taking a multi-vitamin.

I have plans to call the doctor this week. It's been two weeks since I had bloodwork done and I can't figure out how he hasn't called me to confirm mononucleosis or something. It's time I see him and tell him how unbelievably tired I've been.

Maybe I shouldn't run at a time like this but the quality of my sleep lately has been lacking, contributing, of course, to the overall problem. Exercising will counter that. Besides, I figure if I can get through the run it must be OK.

2 comments:

  1. A quick tip for the iPhone – a built in thing with iPhone OS is that from all applications you can access a mini iPod controller.

    Among other features, the mini controller lets you skip forwards and backwards through tracks. You access it by double clicking on the home button when music is playing.

    Note that if music isn't playing, this wont work (which means you can't use it to start music, you can only use it to skip about through your tracks, change the volume, or pause music when music is already playing).

    Because it's built in to the iPhone, all applications should support this.

    --

    Well done with running! I'd definitely worry about your speed later. At the moment just enjoy the fact that you're running for longer times!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bernard.

    What are your thoughts about the speeds I should eventually reach, or is that something that depends on each person, too? Is 5mph enough or should I be trying for more? I haven't been able to find any definitive information.

    ReplyDelete