Monday, April 5, 2010

cheater, cheater, pumpkin eater

I cheated.

But only with my arms. My legs still did what they were supposed to.

Week 4 of Couch to 5k is evil. It's exponentially tougher than Week 3, which I've already complained about. In fact, now that I think about it, I've seen every new week as profoundly more difficult than the previous one, haven't I?

That's pretty lame.

Still, here's the deal for the fourth week: I ran for three minutes (easier than last week, but not by much), walked for one-and-a-half, ran for five minutes, walked for two-and-a-half, ran for three, walked for one-and-a-half, then ran a final five.

You've got to admit: 16 minutes is quite a bit different from nine, which is all I did last week.

But I cheated this time.

For the last two minutes of the first five-minute run I held on to the treadmill. For the second five-minute run I held on for the last two-and-a-half.

I don't think I would have made it otherwise. It could be that I psyched myself out, it could be the four light beers I drank yesterday (Easter with family - need I say more?) took too much out of me, it could be that 16 minutes is quite a bit different from nine.

I'll find out on Wednesday, when I do it again.

6 comments:

  1. How fast are you setting the treadmill? This is hilarious! :)

    Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got it at 4.5 miles per hour, which isn't really fast but it's definitely all I can take endurance-wise. I'd love to get it to 5 mph consistently but I think I'll have to complete the program and have run the 5k for another week after that before I feel good about upping it.
    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My advice, I'm pretty sure I've said it before, is don't worry about your speed until you can run. Lear to run before you try to run :-)

    Maybe psychologically, running slower bothers you, but if you can, push that away. You'll probably find that taking the speed down a notch or two will really help. At the moment it's so much more important to finish your run and enjoy it, and so reinforce a positive sense of running, than it is to be able to run fast for ages. Remember that you've only just started, and you're going in the right direction, but you don't need to hurry to your destination :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh – and definitely remember that you just ran for 16 minutes!

    Count them!

    That's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad I found this site! I just started week 4 this morning, I've been getting a bit 'cocky' and running every day..until this morning...I had to stop and walk during my 5 min runs both times..I just felt I couldn't get enough oxygen. I remember thinking (quite loudly), no,, I HATE running...but then when I got home, I thought, ah, I probably ran for 13 minutes, cool, can't wait to try again...and even more so now with your words of motivation..this is so fantastic!!!

    Jessica in Adelaide, Sout Australia

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so hard to think positively after something SO hard, but it really is a step forward ... and you took it, so congratulate yourself!

    I hope you're still enjoying the program, Jessica. I'm grateful I found it and I wouldn't change this experience for the world.

    Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete