Sunday, May 9, 2010

the homestretch

I have two runs left before I graduate from the Couch to 5K program.

Yes, it's been that long since I began. I can barely believe it myself.

Tonight I ran 30 minutes for the first time. It was easy, but I wasn't expecting it to be. Much of my day had been one screwup after another, so when I got on the treadmill I kept it at 4 mph, just in case.

Speaking of the treadmill, that was one of the things that didn't go right. Here it is, almost mid-May, we've been having glorious temperatures and seem to be a full month ahead of the usual spring schedule in Nova Scotia, and today was a craptacular 8° Celsius (46°F) with gray skies and the occasional cold spit of rain.

I could have run while wearing some of my winter cycling gear but I think I would have been uncomfortable so I played it safe and stayed inside.

My last run of Week 8 was also inside, but that was because I needed a nap - as I  often do on Thursdays - to restore some of the energy that had been sucked out of me during the week at work.

Have I mentioned that my work is incredibly draining? You'd think I was a babysitter for a vampire family instead of just a product trainer.

I made another purchase towards my jogging kit, by the way:


















They are Sennheiser MX85 Sport II earbuds and I like them very much. I didn't have to adjust them a single time during tonight's workout, they were comfortable, provided excellent sound, and I got them for $45 at Future Shop on Friday.

Best of all, they're sweat-proof. My original iPhone earphones do not respond well to the waterfall of moisture that comes off my noggin during a run and I got tired of hearing tunes in just one ear.

I've been thinking a lot about how to follow up C25K and my plans are currently as follows:

  • I find it tough doing that first workout after two days off so I'm going to run at least every other day.
  • I will extend my run time by 10% every week. Next week, in other words, I'll run for 33 minutes. I may stop once I reach eight hours, however. Haha.
  • I'm going to install MapMyRun on my iPhone. I've been using it online and I'd love to have it track my progress.
  • At least once a week, on one of my 'off' days, I'm going to run the nasty hill just up the road from my home. Should be good for a laugh. And for a nice ass, if I play my cards right.
  • My ultimate goal, unless I move from where I currently living, is to run the 10 miles from my home, through the main portion of Kingston, and back home via Bridge Street. I have no idea how long it would take me to reach that level of fitness.
All of this is open to change, of course. I'm nothing if not inconsistent.

No comments:

Post a Comment