Tuesday, May 11, 2010

one left

Today, at work, as I was passing some glassy surface, I saw my reflection.

I did this. I have created these results because of the work I've done. This is my outcome.

Specifically, what I noticed was the area around my breastbone. It's starting to have contours; I can see the shape of the bone. The fat really is leaving my body.

Sure, there are some spots that are still heavily basted. My belly, lower back and butt are going to be flabby for at least another couple of months, maybe even until the fall. But even they must be changing, judging from the way most of my pants don't fit well anymore.

This has not come from some magic trick. I have not gotten lucky. I have worked hard and I've turned my back on gorgeous donuts, my beloved french fries and especially the extra-large triple triples from Tim Horton's (450 calories each, thank you very much).

I'm 45 years old and I'm finally giving myself the body I've wanted for the last 15-20 years. It would have been so much easier to do it when I only had 10 lbs. to manage, but 30 is proving do-able, too. In fact, I may find that I only have to do 20, as the muscle weight I've gained makes 150 lbs. look much better than I would have expected. I will be re-evaluating my goal when I hit 140 lbs.

I am changed. I have had enough of the drug-like pleasure-foods. They no longer entertain me.

I can attribute my new view of junk meals to Food, Inc and to The End of Overeating: Taking Control of the Insatiable American Appetite. Of course, I had to be open to the changes, but I've always been that. My whole life has been about doing the right thing, and when I don't do the right thing I obsess about doing it.

The physical changes are thanks to Couch to 5K. My success with Couch to 5K is very much due to the Get Running iPhone application and its developer, Benjohn Barnes. Benjohn has followed me on Twitter, commented on my blog entries and even listed my blog on the forum for Get Running. His encouragement has added real value to my experience; there is no other app that gets users such hands-on attention from its maker.

There are two friends who've had a regular and significant impact on my progress with C25K, and they're both named Jason. The younger of the two Jasons has been running for longer than I have and has encouraged me both by running races and by giving me the best mantra ever: "Just kick ass at all times."
The elder Jason (still younger than I am, of course), encouraged me by starting the C25K program after hearing me talk about it. He's just a few weeks behind me but it's such a big help to have someone to talk to about it.

I have one run left in the Couch to 5K program. I'm so grateful I've made it to this point.

Here's to kicking - and shaping - ass.

3 comments:

  1. :-) You rock. I'm really proud of you!

    Please feel free to add yourself on to the roll of honour on the forum :-)

    http://forum.splendid-things.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! What a fabulous way to graduate!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both! It has really helped to know I'm being 'watched'. :)

    ReplyDelete