Saturday, September 19, 2015

bookmarked: the story of a personal emblem

On Day 8 of One Zentangle A Day: A 6-Week Course in Creative Drawing for Relaxation, Inspiration, and Fun, I was introduced to Vega.

An amazing drawing from the All Things Tangled blog: http://allthingstangled.com/one-zentangle-a-day-day-8/
I saw Vega as a bejeweled bangle and I wanted to make it into a ribbon-shaped emblem for myself. The journey was a little messy and awkward, but I persisted (I couldn't help myself), and finally created what was in my mind.

The Day 8 tile, featuring Vega, Purk, Tipple, Flux, Printemps, Nekton, Amaze
 
First attempt at turning Vega into a ribbon. Ick. Tile also features Jonqal, Poke Root, Printemps, and Hollibaugh.

Trying again, this time on a black tile using a white Sakura Gelly Roll pen. The ribbon is better, but still goofy.




Not-so-charmed third effort. Tried various colored Gelly Roll pens.
What bothered me the most making these drawings was my sense that the design on the ribbon wasn't following the laws of physics (or whatever the principle is that determines how things appear when they are bent like this). I did some real world studies using some clear piping we had kicking around, and then I cheated (Zentangle is all about spontaneity and acceptance), by actually drawing my ribbon first using pencil.

I was very happy with the result. Finally.

The background of the bookmark also features Tipple, Isochor, Flux, Hollibaugh, Poke Root, Purk, and Printemps.

I painted the ribbon with Tombow brush markers.

I'm also happy I can stop thinking about this particular project. There's another obsession - a stamping-related one - I have to get out of my head now.

No comments:

Post a Comment